I can barely speak a word of Dutch and my job hunting leads are not producing much, yet…
What have I done?
- I am still having to deal with stupid government paperwork – having to re-send official documents back and forth to the UK – all for the sake of a a few ‘Apostille’ stamps… Which means I have the necessary BSN number (burgerservicenummer) and I can go to work, but cannot open a bank account, or see a doctor yet… Thankfully my health is much better these days, but the bank account would be nice – especially as my Danish bank card expires next month :O
- I have registered with 3 or 4 recruitment agencies, in Rotterdam and Amsterdam, and will now be looking for others in the Utrecht area…
- I’ve applied for approx 7 or 8 jobs now, but not having much luck with them.
- An appointment has been set up with a volunteer organisation next week, called Access – based in The Hague. I figured this would at least help with the future job prospects, if they can find something suitable / useful for me to do in the meantime.
- I’ve joined a few online expat communities, just to gain a little more insight, from the foreigner perspective 😉
- And, I have 2 study books and cd’s to start me on my way with the Dutch lingo – though my motivation needs a gentle shove. I am ok with the odd word and the alphabet so far…
- Oh, and I’ve drawn a few pictures – for the first time in many years! 😀
Impatient beyond belief, or not thinking about enough alternatives?
Well, I just have to ask myself (objectionally and without too much self criticism) – am I doing enough?
Also, what are the other alternatives, if any? Is there anything I can do to enable me to become self employed? If so, do I have a skill I can sell? If I changed direction, what could I study/train to do – quickly? What kind of work related skills are needed for work in the Netherlands, that are currently lacking? How do I learn to think about it all from a completely different perspective? Have I exhausted all the possibilities? How would others approach this new beginning in the land of the Dutch, and is there anything I can learn from them?
So many thoughts and questions – just no answers, yet. I obviously need to do more networking, and am hoping that any volunteer work will help me there, but what about other expats? Would they help me integrate more or just help segregate me from the locals? I know that the expat community in Denmark was needed, but I did have my reasons for that…
Hmmm, think I need more sun time and peace to let my brain unravel itself and start working properly.
Kicking the habit
I am also kicking myself every time I use Danish here in the Netherlands! How many times do I need to stop myself from speaking crappy dansk instead of crappy Nederlands? Though, to be fair – I know enough dansk to react to everyday stuff, but not near enough Nederlands yet. If anything, I should just reply in English, as it is understood here – so, why the hell am I using dansk?!! It’s absurd and I have to laugh at myself when I remember how reluctant (and scared) I was to speak dansk in Denmark. Will have to listen to Nederlands radio more and remember where I am!